Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody - Frisco, Plano, McKinney, Denton

Termination of Parental Rights

Involuntary Termination


Voluntary Termination

The decision to terminate parental rights may be voluntary or involuntary – but it is a very serious and final decision either way.*  The Family Law attorneys at Hanshaw Kennedy have experience advising clients in both situations.  If you seek to terminate the rights of a parent, seek to terminate your own rights, or need assistance challenging someone who wants to terminate your parental rights, please contact our office for legal advice.

*Generally, a decree terminating parental rights is a final judgment, though it is possible to modify the decree through an appeal process or a motion for a new trial.

Involuntary Termination
Texas law authorizes involuntary termination of a parent’s rights if termination is found to be in the child’s best interest, and one of the following grounds is verified:

  • Abandonment
  • Knowingly endangered
  • Neglect
  • Abuse
  • Use of a controlled substance
  • Failed to provide support for one year
  • Imprisonment longer than two years
  • Or other grounds specified by the Texas Family Law Code.

Depending on the circumstance of your case, there may be a need to appoint a guardian ad litem and/or an attorney ad litem.  Our attorneys can advise you on what to anticipate in your situation.


If the question of termination of parental rights relates to an adoption procedure, it is vital that you consult with an attorney to understand your rights and those of the other parties involved in the adoption.  For more information, please review our page on adoption, and contact our office

Voluntary Termination

Terminating parental rights is a pre-requisite to adoption.  A decree that terminates the parent-child relationship is a final judgment.  Therefore, we advise our clients who are contemplating adoption and/or termination of parental rights to consult with us for an understanding of all options, requirements, and potential outcomes.

Consultation Form

Go to top